Slovenska Bistrica Castle is the central building of the town and an example of typical lowland Slovenian castles. The first written reference of the castle dates back to 1313. Originally the property of the provincial prince, it became private property towards the end of the 16th century. It was bought by the Counts of Attems in 1717, who managed it until 1945. It was nationalized after World War II. Renovation of the castle commenced in 1985 and took more than 20 years to complete. Today the castle is completely restored and since 1999 it is listed as a cultural monument of national significance.